Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Good Advice


"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands...." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

It dawned on me this morning when I read this, that as humans we tend to pay attention to what others are doing. We can't help ourselves. We just do that. I think God knows that about us...He may have even created us that way. I'm not sure, but that isn't the point today. My point is that because we notice others and make judgments about people based on their actions, I'm thinking God gave us good advice in His Word about what we should be doing in our daily lives because the world IS watching. And making judgments. This seems to be very good advice. By following it we shouldn't have an opportunity to give a bad example.
A dear friend of mine has started a new ministry, for her anyway, I believe their are many who go into nursing homes and do what ever they can to brighten and cheer someones day by offering a drink of water or touching a cheek of someone who is babbling and can't stop on their own. Of course their is MUCH Scripture that references and encourages this "business" (to quote the Scripture above) of self sacrifice and others-centered activity's. I'm very happy to notice this in her life and I'm very proud of her. The main reason...she listened to the still small voice that asked her to. Not only listened, but heeded. And she doesn't do it to be noticed.

1 comment:

Stillmeadow Cottage said...

What an excellent verse to ponder and what a faithful thing your friend has done, not just hearing His still small voice tell her to do something, but actually obeying it!

I think many of us hear that voice but don't always act on it :o(

Blessings!