Thursday, January 15, 2009

Remember me??

I am embarrassed to be writing another post after so much time has passed. But I remind myself that this is for me and I can forgive myself for checking out so long...if you can't, you can just push "next blog please".



I want to share this recipe with who ever might stumble across this little spot of mine. I joined a site called http://www.grouprecipes.com/ last week. It all happened by "accident" (honestly, I'm not sure I believe in those...) but I was googling a recipe and found it on this site. I was intrigued by what I saw and since I really love recipes more than I really love to cook - I do hate to admit that- - I have enjoyed it so far. It's fun checking out the neat recipes from really interesting people. One of the cool things about it is you make friends and I had someone comment on one of my recipes and now she and I have been corresponding through this site every day or so. Her bio really struck me, she seems like a good, strong wife and mother. (I hope my friends know I love that in a woman...all my friends fit that description.) Not only that but she knows how to feed her family! She submitted this recipe and I just had to share it here. So here it is...and here is the link to find it online and you can read about Rachell, and see her other delicious recipes.



Creamy Chicken And Chile Enchiladas



1 lb uncooked chicken breast strips
1 pkg (8oz) cream cheese, cut into cubes
1 can (4.5oz) chopped green chiles
1 pkg flour tortillas-6 inch size
2 cans (10 oz) green chili enchilada sauce-green kind
3/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese

Directions
Heat oven to 400 degrees.
lightly grease 13x9 glass baking dish.
In 10 inch nonstick skillet, cook chicken over med-high heat until no longer pink in the middle.
Add cream cheese and chilis; reduce heat to medium.
Cook and stir until blended and cream cheese is melted.
Spoon chicken filling onto tortillas; roll up and place seam side down in baking dish.
Pour enchilada sauce over top and sprinkle with cheese.
Bake 15-20 minutes 0r until hot and cheese is melted.



It really is that easy...of course I did change it up a bit for us... I used corn tortillas instead of flour (I ended up using 11, because I put a little too much in the first two), and I did pour half a can of the sauce down to coat the bottom of the dish before I added the enchiladas so they wouldn't stick ( I highly suggest this, it makes it so easy to clean the pan. Be sure and spray it too).

Also I doubled the cheese because, well, come on, it is cheese.



Now, you should know that Rachell used the Old El Paso brand green enchilada sauce and that is where she found the recipe, and I too found it right on the side of the can. Honestly, I never knew the green stuff was so good!



I am going to be making some tonight for work tomorrow and I will try to give an update soon about a few more changes I am going to try. I bought canned chicken for these and I am going to experiment with a vegetarian variation for "you know who". (It's Kati in case you really don't know who) I will omit the chicken and use some drained and rinsed canned black beans and some sauteed cubed portabella mushrooms to the cream cheese and green chili mixture. Sounds pretty good huh?



I have been writing down a few of my thoughts and I want to put those here as well, soon. I read an incredible book that is coming out this summer, and I hope to share some of what it made me think about. Things about grace and God's mercy.



Enjoy the enchiladas...I know you will...Ole'!!

No comments: